Allergic Rhinitis is a diagnosis associated with a group of symptoms affecting the nose. These symptoms occur when you breathe in something you are allergic to, such as Dust, Animal Dander, or Pollen. In Florida Pollen Counts are frequently high and Hay Fever is a common problem. Allergies to certain Foods may also present with these symptoms.
- Nasal Stuffiness (congestion)
- Running, Itchy Nose with frequent Sneezing
- Itchy, Tearing Eyes
- There is often an Itching of the Mouth, Eyes, and Ears
You may develop other problems such as Sinusitis and Ear Infections.
- Avoid the Allergen when possible
- Medications and Immunotherapy (Allergy Injections) can help
- Hay Fever may often be treated with Antihistamines in Pill or Nasal Spray forms. Antihistamines block the effects of histamines. There are over-the-counter medicines that may help with Nasal Congestion and Swelling around the Eyes. Check with your Doctor before taking or giving this Medication.
If the Treatment above does not work, there are many New Medications your Provider can prescribe. Stronger Medications may be used if initial measures are ineffective. Desensitizing Injections can be used if Medications and Avoidance fail. Desensitizing is when a Patient is given a small dose of the Allergen by Injection and the body becomes less sensitive to the Allergen over time.
If you are unable to determine the offending Allergen, Skin or Blood Testing can be done to help identify the specific Allergen.
SEEK MEDICAL CARE IF:
- You develop a Fever (more than 100.5°F (38.1°C)
- You develop a cough that does not stop easily (persistent)
- You have shortness of breath
- You start wheezing
- Your symptoms interfere with normal daily activities
Discover the caring, convenient, comprehensive and cost-efficient treatment that can always be found at Palm Bay Urgent Care! We are open seven days a week, Mon. – Sat., 9a – 7p and Sun. 10a – 5p, No Appointment needed, Walk-ins welcomed! Come in or Call Today! (321) 723-3627 www.Palmbayurgentcare.com